Ideal Year of Scouting
What is the Ideal Year of Scouting?
The single biggest motivator for Scouts & parents is fulfilling their dreams (having their Ideal Year of Scouting). The Ideal Year of Scouting is different for every unit. Units that plan, promote and execute their Ideal Year of Scouting, offer unparalleled experiences for more youth, and have:
- A stronger program for your boys at less personal cost to parents and volunteers
- Activities the Scouts want to participate in
- Better retention
- More funding to do all of their activities with less time spent fundraising
- A simpler, easier and more fun Scouting experience for all
During the spring and summer of 2014, units should complete the 5 steps to the Ideal Year of Scouting. By August of 2014, units should have a clear picture of the program they will offer from August 2014 through the summer of 2015.
The 5 Steps to the Ideal Year of Scouting
- Listening: The unit solicits input from the it’s Scouts and their parents about what activities they would like to do in Scouting during the next year.
- Planning: In addition to the activities chosen by the unit’s members, the unit should map out the advancements, activities, camping and training needed for the unit’s Ideal Year of Scouting.
- Budgeting: Determine the expenses from all the activities, advancements, camping and training the unit wants to do as well as any income the unit receives such as dues payments.
- Funding: Determine the unit’s fundraising needs and per-Scout-goals to meet the fundraising needs through the annual popcorn sale.
- Communicating: Explain the plan to your Scouting families to get them on board and keep them informed.
Click on the title of each section to learn more about that step of the Ideal Year of Scouting process: